Skip to main content

The Rama Blues

Once again, I recently came across a nugget of animation available online for free (or voluntary pay) download.
It's called Sita Sings the Blues, animator Nina Paleys' 2008 take on the Ramanaya, which is the sanskrit version of Homers Odyesy , featuring Gods™, Monsters™, Love™ and all the features of a classic epic. This has been taken, complemented with some very good jazz singing, performed by Annette Henshaw, and turned into a refreshing take on mythology.



While the film does follow Ramas journeys through early India and Sri Lanka, it focuses on Sita, the wife he loves, then wrongs, then loves again until finally… I'm not giving it away. Suffice to say that Rama is portayed in varying shades of grey. It is a refreshing take on this part of literary history (I never got through all of that verse myself, being more of a prose person…), somewhat chatty in parts, but certainly making the tale very accessible to the general public.

What drew me into this movie is not merely a fascination for all things different, but also the style of the film: A humongous 1-woman Flash project, Nina Paley has animated most of it on her very lonesome, the animation is crisp, simple. It also uses Indian Shadow figures here and there for exposition, making it watch like a mashup of traditional shadow theatre and modern vector animation.



The film is also an interesting example of how convoluted copyright can be: While the original recordings of the Anette Henshaw songs have long been in the public domain (i.e. no-one holds the copyright to them), the notations, lyrics etc. are not. This means that while free to listen to, the use of those songs in the film is not, resulting in a long, drawn-out and expensive legal case.

That said, the film makes for good watching and listening, in addition to the inescapable pædagogic effect.

The title will take you to the films' website, clicking here will take you to a 2-part interview with Nina Paley by Dominic von Riedemann.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COG I: Good Game, Long Thought (3)

Caram on Games (COG) is an occasional ramble in which I discuss computer gaming, gaming culture and how I perceive them, in an attempt to talk about a medium that I've always been passionate about, or at least enjoyed. Every part is an exploration of thoughts, meaning that it comes together as it is written- so while they may meander for a while, a point will eventually be reached. Maybe. After a lot of words, and sometimes numbers. You have been warned.  Let's start with the basics: 0. What makes a good game? This question has as many answers as there are ways to make a game, and most of them are subjective, dependent on how the individual gamer experiences their play, how deeply they are willing to delve into the details surrounding a game and how much time this will take, expectations towards gameplay and stortytelling, the studio and publisher, familiarity with methods of non-linear stories… This answer becomes more complicated from a publication and developmen...

Spring Lessons: Musiksehen Black and White

Note: this post was begun on 03.July 2013, just before Morsi was ousted from power.  A long while after the last post, and a second Egyptian uprising against the rule of Mohammad Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood happening as I write, a seemingly unrelated post on a Spring Lessons event that will be taking place tomorrow: Musiksehen Schwarzweiss, or Black & White. The idea was born at the exhibition "Right to Left" curated by EP51 and Uqbar. The exhibition was titled "Arabic and Iranian Visual cultures" and collected works of graphic design by artists from the aforementioned backgrounds. Included, by chance or design, in the exhibition, was a book by Iranian graphic designer Peyman Pourhosein of Studio Khargah . This book revealed to me a visual history of Iranian film in form of posters, vinyl covers, and film stills. Knowing that many films produced before 1979 are banned from screening in the country and connecting the narrative of the Iranian revol...

¡Carambolage Rocks! (Apparently)

Gather the barber shop quartet! Roll the Drums! Fire the Works! Open the ball! Vote Hillary! Raise the topmast! Scour the Plank! Split the Atom! Shiver me timbers! That brought on quite a bit of nonsensical jubilation, finding that iCeah of Wow Legs has nominated Carambolage as a Kick-Ass Blog. In fact I jubilated all through yesterday, pausing only to reflect on Microsofts new Ad, Shelves I'd like to have, Fembots and Virgin advertising. I jubilated through work and through a small spot of partying.I am still jubilant as I write this! And now, my speech: "We've come a long way, yahdiyahdiyah, achievement, blahblah, the people who made this possible, yakyakyak, our sponsors, moohdemoohdemooh, honoured to accept, beehdibeehdibeeh, Mom, God and the stinky state of Berlin. Thangyouthangyouverymuch." So thank you for the Award, iCeah, if you didn't have one already, I'd nominate you right back, Meanwhile, my link-list needs some updating. Also meanwhile, here...