Skip to main content

Adjustments Part II

One of the most noticeable adjustments in the time I have been gone, apart from changes in the lives of friends and relations, is the oil price: at the time I was gone, it was soaring at 140 dollars, now it is down to wait, 116 and a few odd cents.

This was noticeable in Eire, of course. As we set off, petrol was selling for up to 145 cents per litre, upon retuning to Dublin, we could fill up for about 10 cents less.

The problem with the pastoral scenes, mentioned below, is that, once you get out of the car, you are stuck bang in the middle of them. This also means being immersed in the side-effects. They are also mentioned above. After a week of these and accompanying scenic effects, such as cows, hunchbacked horses and loads and heaps of sheep (where all that knitted and woven Irish wear comes from), a life-long city boy starts to yearn for the polluted canyons of a city. I got those too, later on.

Renting a cottage in Port Nua (or Port Noo), next to Narin, Naran, An Fhearthainn (or Narinein French), proved to be a bit of a search, but well worth it. For a week, we lived in the last cottage in Ireland, on a hilltop, surrounded by hill, glenn, ocean and stone. We also had spectacular beaches, celtic dolmens, crabs, yummy dinners, stinking pubs (generations of frying since 1905).We undertook drives to dramatic scenery, explored the lost caves, found sand paths to Inis Caoli, hacked our way through forests of fern and did all the usual touristy stuff.

After about a week and a half of this, we rode into Dublin, which proved to be an interesting agglomeration of architecture, incomprehensible to the fleeting visitor and unexplorable due to a Bank Holiday Monday which means that everything closed at five. Cue lots of frustrated reading.

We left through an awfully staffed, terribly expensive and absolutely vast airport, with more hand luggage than is healthy. Why is it that many countries don't understand that, most of the time, their airports are the first and last impression of their people the visitor retains? It would be so simple to enhance the traveling experience through friendly and informative airport staff, which should be easy to find a a country filled predominantly with friendly and generally helpful people.

But despite this final reminder as to the grating unpleasantness of contemporary travel, it was a nice trip.

Good fun Ireland





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COG I: Good Game, Long Thought (3)

Caram on Games (COG) is an occasional ramble in which I discuss computer gaming, gaming culture and how I perceive them, in an attempt to talk about a medium that I've always been passionate about, or at least enjoyed. Every part is an exploration of thoughts, meaning that it comes together as it is written- so while they may meander for a while, a point will eventually be reached. Maybe. After a lot of words, and sometimes numbers. You have been warned.  Let's start with the basics: 0. What makes a good game? This question has as many answers as there are ways to make a game, and most of them are subjective, dependent on how the individual gamer experiences their play, how deeply they are willing to delve into the details surrounding a game and how much time this will take, expectations towards gameplay and stortytelling, the studio and publisher, familiarity with methods of non-linear stories… This answer becomes more complicated from a publication and developmen...

Spring Lessons: Musiksehen Black and White

Note: this post was begun on 03.July 2013, just before Morsi was ousted from power.  A long while after the last post, and a second Egyptian uprising against the rule of Mohammad Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood happening as I write, a seemingly unrelated post on a Spring Lessons event that will be taking place tomorrow: Musiksehen Schwarzweiss, or Black & White. The idea was born at the exhibition "Right to Left" curated by EP51 and Uqbar. The exhibition was titled "Arabic and Iranian Visual cultures" and collected works of graphic design by artists from the aforementioned backgrounds. Included, by chance or design, in the exhibition, was a book by Iranian graphic designer Peyman Pourhosein of Studio Khargah . This book revealed to me a visual history of Iranian film in form of posters, vinyl covers, and film stills. Knowing that many films produced before 1979 are banned from screening in the country and connecting the narrative of the Iranian revol...

¡Carambolage Rocks! (Apparently)

Gather the barber shop quartet! Roll the Drums! Fire the Works! Open the ball! Vote Hillary! Raise the topmast! Scour the Plank! Split the Atom! Shiver me timbers! That brought on quite a bit of nonsensical jubilation, finding that iCeah of Wow Legs has nominated Carambolage as a Kick-Ass Blog. In fact I jubilated all through yesterday, pausing only to reflect on Microsofts new Ad, Shelves I'd like to have, Fembots and Virgin advertising. I jubilated through work and through a small spot of partying.I am still jubilant as I write this! And now, my speech: "We've come a long way, yahdiyahdiyah, achievement, blahblah, the people who made this possible, yakyakyak, our sponsors, moohdemoohdemooh, honoured to accept, beehdibeehdibeeh, Mom, God and the stinky state of Berlin. Thangyouthangyouverymuch." So thank you for the Award, iCeah, if you didn't have one already, I'd nominate you right back, Meanwhile, my link-list needs some updating. Also meanwhile, here...