Skip to main content

The Death of a Powerbook

Now that all the excitement is over I finally have time to publish my Powerbooks obituary:

This is to announce the passing on of Ks's Block on the 14th of January 2008.
KS Block was found at Saturn, where it was rescued from a prolonged existence as a demo machine. It was purchased in April 2004, whereafter it accompanied me through many adventures including the great Cairo Kitsch expedition, the Rescue of Neverwinter, The Roman Summer, The Madrassah File and many other twists and turns in the plot of the last four years.
It did many tasks it was not designed for, such as big and heavy rendering tasks, which sometimes forced it to work and toil for days on end, film editing with HD material and bookweight.
By the time of its death, it had, through my road warrior Lifestyle acquired many bumps, scratches and general patina. Symptoms of its imminent demise started showing in April 2007, when it received a new Hard drive and Battery to replace defective units.
It died as it lived: Quietly, while rendering, the graphics card finally gave out under the strain of yet another 24/7 job.
It has been a faithful companion through the years, proving it's usefulness and versatility time and time again while never complaining under the strain of the tasks it was asked to perform.
It will be missed.

Now that this is over with, dear reader, don't you think it strange that one should publish an obituary for a piece of computer hardware? Comment and opine!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COG I: Good Game, Long Thought (3)

Caram on Games (COG) is an occasional ramble in which I discuss computer gaming, gaming culture and how I perceive them, in an attempt to talk about a medium that I've always been passionate about, or at least enjoyed. Every part is an exploration of thoughts, meaning that it comes together as it is written- so while they may meander for a while, a point will eventually be reached. Maybe. After a lot of words, and sometimes numbers. You have been warned.  Let's start with the basics: 0. What makes a good game? This question has as many answers as there are ways to make a game, and most of them are subjective, dependent on how the individual gamer experiences their play, how deeply they are willing to delve into the details surrounding a game and how much time this will take, expectations towards gameplay and stortytelling, the studio and publisher, familiarity with methods of non-linear stories… This answer becomes more complicated from a publication and developmen...

Spring Lessons: Musiksehen Black and White

Note: this post was begun on 03.July 2013, just before Morsi was ousted from power.  A long while after the last post, and a second Egyptian uprising against the rule of Mohammad Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood happening as I write, a seemingly unrelated post on a Spring Lessons event that will be taking place tomorrow: Musiksehen Schwarzweiss, or Black & White. The idea was born at the exhibition "Right to Left" curated by EP51 and Uqbar. The exhibition was titled "Arabic and Iranian Visual cultures" and collected works of graphic design by artists from the aforementioned backgrounds. Included, by chance or design, in the exhibition, was a book by Iranian graphic designer Peyman Pourhosein of Studio Khargah . This book revealed to me a visual history of Iranian film in form of posters, vinyl covers, and film stills. Knowing that many films produced before 1979 are banned from screening in the country and connecting the narrative of the Iranian revol...

¡Carambolage Rocks! (Apparently)

Gather the barber shop quartet! Roll the Drums! Fire the Works! Open the ball! Vote Hillary! Raise the topmast! Scour the Plank! Split the Atom! Shiver me timbers! That brought on quite a bit of nonsensical jubilation, finding that iCeah of Wow Legs has nominated Carambolage as a Kick-Ass Blog. In fact I jubilated all through yesterday, pausing only to reflect on Microsofts new Ad, Shelves I'd like to have, Fembots and Virgin advertising. I jubilated through work and through a small spot of partying.I am still jubilant as I write this! And now, my speech: "We've come a long way, yahdiyahdiyah, achievement, blahblah, the people who made this possible, yakyakyak, our sponsors, moohdemoohdemooh, honoured to accept, beehdibeehdibeeh, Mom, God and the stinky state of Berlin. Thangyouthangyouverymuch." So thank you for the Award, iCeah, if you didn't have one already, I'd nominate you right back, Meanwhile, my link-list needs some updating. Also meanwhile, here...