Skip to main content

Welcome to the New Year!

Now, here we are, finally having arrived in 2008.

All predictions have been made, all retrospectives undertaken, Q4 announcement are pending, another year lies ahead of us for us to use according to our natures.

Since I don't have anything too interesting to say right now, I'm going to make my new years resolution to fin interesting things to write here, full of wit, humour and occasional sparks of insight.

For those who read this, here is a short introduction to me, quoted from a facebook message:

Sometime a few years ago, I switched over to studiying graphic design and should be finishing the grundstudium, which I flunked royally last, sometime at the end of this semester.. the luxury of having your education paid for by her chanceloresses government...
but it is depressing seeing everyone I know turning into professor this or doctor that while I linger...but then I am enjoying my studies much too much to care. It;s all very arcane... while other people learn useful things like building a house, running an economy or defending other people in court, I deal with the minutae of discretionary ligatures, PDF-x3 formats and how to correctly kern a font... all very useful stuff, if you believe the world can be improved through intelligent design... not necessarily graphic, but it's a place to start.
And where that is concerned Berlin is one of the places to be... this place is like a renewable energy in that every day something new and somehow exciting happens here. Sometimes those things even happen to me!
But I enjoy berlin with the thougt that I am going to leave it as soon as I can, because this country is... somehow wierder than other places. More on that some other time. Suffice to say that I am sick of having to deal with German burocrates every day of the year.. and the winters are too cold.

Sums me up quite nicelythat does , and the winters are, I am very dismayed to report, indeed turning cold once more...

until next time!
C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COG I: Good Game, Long Thought (3)

Caram on Games (COG) is an occasional ramble in which I discuss computer gaming, gaming culture and how I perceive them, in an attempt to talk about a medium that I've always been passionate about, or at least enjoyed. Every part is an exploration of thoughts, meaning that it comes together as it is written- so while they may meander for a while, a point will eventually be reached. Maybe. After a lot of words, and sometimes numbers. You have been warned.  Let's start with the basics: 0. What makes a good game? This question has as many answers as there are ways to make a game, and most of them are subjective, dependent on how the individual gamer experiences their play, how deeply they are willing to delve into the details surrounding a game and how much time this will take, expectations towards gameplay and stortytelling, the studio and publisher, familiarity with methods of non-linear stories… This answer becomes more complicated from a publication and developmen...

Spring Lessons: Musiksehen Black and White

Note: this post was begun on 03.July 2013, just before Morsi was ousted from power.  A long while after the last post, and a second Egyptian uprising against the rule of Mohammad Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood happening as I write, a seemingly unrelated post on a Spring Lessons event that will be taking place tomorrow: Musiksehen Schwarzweiss, or Black & White. The idea was born at the exhibition "Right to Left" curated by EP51 and Uqbar. The exhibition was titled "Arabic and Iranian Visual cultures" and collected works of graphic design by artists from the aforementioned backgrounds. Included, by chance or design, in the exhibition, was a book by Iranian graphic designer Peyman Pourhosein of Studio Khargah . This book revealed to me a visual history of Iranian film in form of posters, vinyl covers, and film stills. Knowing that many films produced before 1979 are banned from screening in the country and connecting the narrative of the Iranian revol...

¡Carambolage Rocks! (Apparently)

Gather the barber shop quartet! Roll the Drums! Fire the Works! Open the ball! Vote Hillary! Raise the topmast! Scour the Plank! Split the Atom! Shiver me timbers! That brought on quite a bit of nonsensical jubilation, finding that iCeah of Wow Legs has nominated Carambolage as a Kick-Ass Blog. In fact I jubilated all through yesterday, pausing only to reflect on Microsofts new Ad, Shelves I'd like to have, Fembots and Virgin advertising. I jubilated through work and through a small spot of partying.I am still jubilant as I write this! And now, my speech: "We've come a long way, yahdiyahdiyah, achievement, blahblah, the people who made this possible, yakyakyak, our sponsors, moohdemoohdemooh, honoured to accept, beehdibeehdibeeh, Mom, God and the stinky state of Berlin. Thangyouthangyouverymuch." So thank you for the Award, iCeah, if you didn't have one already, I'd nominate you right back, Meanwhile, my link-list needs some updating. Also meanwhile, here...